Tuesday, April 14, 2009

Hobby Hustlin': Kristena Witherspoon Designs


Greetings Urbanistas! This week is getting off to a hectic start, but no worries. Avoid the effects of Venus retrograde if you can!

Anyway, as part of Step #3 of The Urban Addict Recovery Process I will shine some limelight on talented urbanistas who are successfully utilizing their hobbies & gifts to achieve their goals.

First up is FAB indie fashion designer, Kristena Witherspoon & her Kristena Witherspoon Designs: "Candy for Your Arm." Her one-of-a-kind designs are some of the freshest, funkiest pieces I’ve seen in a while. Check out her interview below for tips on how to start hobby hustlin' as well as other helpful tips every urbanista needs to know. And don't forget to check out her UBER HAUTE fashion line BY CLICKING HERE:



U.H.: Tell us about your fashion line.

Cool..funky..colorful...functional..multicultural...Kristena Witherspoon Designs is a very unique line of one-of-a-kind and limited edition handbags and accessories. All of the items I create are consistently functional and have their own quirky style. I am inspired by sooo many things..... street fashion, subcultures, architecture, the Diaspora, indie films, and music. This is reflected in the many colors, prints, and textures of the items. My mission is to create new and fresh products that are not mass produced and allow you to stand out from the crowd!

U.H.: What inspired you to launch your fashion line? Did you feel that there was a void in the market?

I’ve been designing and sewing since 1999. I began with bags and would make them for friends and family. I realized that I could create a business out of it when people started requesting custom items and offering to pay.

After going to school for fashion and business, I realized the importance of creating a focus and finding my niche. I am inspired by so many things: street fashion, cultures, subcultures, music, and architecture. A lot of my inspiration comes from urban life and the Diaspora.

I love multiculturalism and want to infuse that into my work. I love the idea of blending various elements. I think that people appreciate that.


U.H.: What are your short-term & long-term goals for your line?


Omigosh! What a question! Handbags are just the beginning of Kristena, Inc! I currently do a lot of small bags….I’m going to expand the line to include more big bags and eventually incorporate more leather. I will also be adding a line of dresses this summer. I will be using traditional African prints in new modern ways and mixing them with other fabrics.. I personally know a lot of ppl that enjoy the prints but not the traditional silhouettes. I want to give it a new spin for them ☺

I’m also going to be adding new accessories this fall/winter: scarves, scoodies (combined scarf and hoodie), wrist cuffs, and leg warmers.

I also plan on opening a studio/boutique by summer 2010.

Kristena Witherspoon Designs will continue to be the more one of a kind/limited edition line that has pieces for work and going out.
However, over the next couple of years I plan on developing a different lifestyle street style brand…sort of a female version of Nigo’s BAPE line...this will be more casual..fun..uninhibited…funky

I’d also really like to do a mini line with Target..I LOVE their concept of working with designers and creating more affordable designer pieces for the mass market.
Sneakers! I love ‘em! I’d love to eventually partner with Nike or Puma to create a sleek sneaker that represents KWD to the fullest.

I could go on and on but these are a few of my goals.




U.H.: What's some advice you would give someone who wants to launch their own line?

I think that it’s important to have your own style. I used to be all over the place and my line wasn’t very cohesive or focused. That makes it very hard to brand you’re your business....consistency is key. So now, I always try to make sure that the pieces reflect my mission and what I want to achieve. Don’t necessarily make everything look the same..just be cohesive and have a distinct look.

U.H.: What's a tip on how to dress like a cutting edge fashionista on an urbanista budget?

Don’t copy…develop your own style. Don’t pay full price for anything!

In your opinion, what is the biggest fashion faux paux?
Clothes that are way too small…or too big, well fitting clothes make a big difference.

U.H.: Lastly, where can we find your fabulous creations?

I currently sell online (www.kristenawitherspoon.etsy.com) and at Kokorokoko Boutique in Chicago (1112 N. Ashland Ave.)

I’m always participating in different event around Chicago. Check my blog for updates (www.kristenawitherspoon.com)

I also do custom designs..so feel free to contact me about a design that you’re interested in

Thanks ☺


There you have it Urban Heiresses. Don't just shoot for the stars...shoot for beyond the stars!

Special thanks to Kristena Witherspoon. Don't forget to check out her unique designs via her website.

*If you are interested in having the limelight shone on your hobby hustlin' skills, please send an email to: info@blackheiress.com

No comments:

Post a Comment