Thursday, August 05, 2010

Equal Opportunity Marriage: Are you down with the Swirl?


No, I'm not talking about the overturning of Prop 8 (but I did do a victory dance last night). Not sure where I was when this was first reported in June, but I was very surprised (yet not) to learn that interracial marriage in the U.S. is at an all-time high! 14.6% of all new marriages in the U.S. in 2008 were between people of a different race or ethnicity. I find this very interesting in a country where in some parts I'm still referred to as "colored." Now anyone who knows me knows that I've ALWAYS been an equal opportunity dater. And I don't buy into the hype that there's a disproportionate amount of good eligible black men in the world. I know too many good ones. Now I will say that I've noticed a large increase in the number of brothas who are opting to date outside of the race. Love is blind, but 22% of black men who wed in '08 married outside their race. That's more than 1/5 versus the 9% of black women did the same. What's really good? Is there a reason for the "mass exodus" or is it simply that color lines are finally being erased?

No comments:

Post a Comment