Thursday, August 13, 2009

Urbanista Files #101: The House built by Louis Vuitton


Today is one of those days...you know the ones when you ask the ? "What I am doing with my life?" I started feeling the anxiety creep up my spine as the four walls of my office (box) felt like they were closing in on me like in those action/adventure/thrillers. Anywho, to fight the urge to run out of the building screaming and pulling out my weave I started looking at my personal flix from my AWESOME vacay. Above is my snapshot of the flagship Louis Vuitton store located on fashion's most popular street in Paris, Avenue des Champs-Elysees. So many urbanistas and urbanistos spend there hard-earned pesos on ANYTHING that has the LV initials emblazoned across it from a wallet to a doggy-carrier. But how many of us know the story behind these two letters? Here's the lowdown so at least the next time you sacrifice an entire paycheck for LV swag you know exactly what you're buying into:

*It all started with the world-famous LV-initialed travel goods.

*In 1854, Louis Vuitton opened his first store in Paris, specializing in finely made trunks, hat boxes, and other luxury luggage for the well-traveled set.

*1885, first London store opens.

*By 1888, Vuitton introduced his signature brown and tan checked pattern after the original design was copied. And by 1896, the now iconic "LV" monogram made its debut.

*Also by 1896, Vuitton branched into women's handbag designs: the Speedy, the Steamer, the Pochette.

*The company didn’t venture into ready-to-wear until 1997 when New York designer Marc Jacobs joined the LV team. Jacobs collaborated w/ artists like Stephen Sprouse (LV graffiti bags) and Takashi Murakami.

*Today, the label encompasses ready-to-wear, watches, jewelry, beauty, home, and, of course, that signature luggage.

SOURCE

No comments:

Post a Comment