Thursday, September 02, 2010

Outrageously Overpriced Products That We All Fall Victim To...

This article identifies 6 items that we've all purchased at one time or another. When you really think about the amount of money we waste on these inflated goods it's downright insane. But not to fear! The Urban Heiress is here with budget-friendly alternatives:


1. Movie theater concessions
Urban Heiress solution - Call it lowbrow if you want, but I see nothing wrong with stocking my tote/handbag with goodies from Trader Joes or Whole Foods or a baggie of light popcorn from home before hitting up the theater. And the best part is that my snacks are always healthier than the fatty/sugary options at the movies.

2. Greeting Cards
Urban Heiress solution - My mom turned me onto purchasing greeting cards at discount stores like Family Dollar, The Dollar Store & the $1 Store. You can find cards as cheap as 50 cents!

3. College textbooks
Urban Heiress solution - During my college years I learned VERY quickly to shop for "used" books since some books barely even get cracked open throughout the semester by many previous users. Other options are to shop online for used/new textbooks and don't forget to check student bulletin boards for great deals. Or really be scrappy and establish your own book swap between your classmates. Identify folks in your major since you're all taking the same required courses.

4. Bottled Water
Urban Heiress solution - Okay, I confess that I'm a bottled water snob. I have a fave brand that I don't deviate from, but one thing I've learned is to buy it in bulk and on sale! Stock up since you'll never have enough H2O.

5. Printer Ink
Urban Heiress solution - Go green as OFTEN as possible. With Droids, BlackBerrys, iPhones, etc. we can skip hitting the print button now. I use my CrackBerry for boarding passes, coupons & any other attachments to avoid burning up printer ink.

6. Brand-Name Fashions
Urban Heiress solution - Now this is MY area of expertise. Pick one: Designer resale stores, consignment boutiques, fashion discount retailers (Marshalls, Loehmann's, Nordstrom Rack), yard/garage sales, online shopping sites (RueLaLa, RenttheRunway, Gilt, HauteLook). You should NEVER pay full retail price....EVER!

No comments:

Post a Comment